Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Due figli sono alti

Possibly the most important event since I have moved to Rome has taken place. My hair was colored by someone other than my hair's very best friend, Ashley.
this is my hair in america. it is happy and secure.
       The picture above, however, is not my natural hair color. But it does play my natural hair color on TV.




I went as long as I possibly could without admitting that I had a problem. My hair kept hinting that maybe I needed help. I insisted that I could go to a hair salon any time I wanted! I just didn't want to!But after two months, I could no longer ignore or hide the cruel joke that sprouts from my head.





As I live in the land of gorgeous dark hair, I decided to go a little bit darker. Nothing drastic, just something like this:












However, on me, that color  unfortunately did not translate to Jessica Biel. It translated to Morticia Addams:











 My obvious plan was to stay inside until Christmas when my hair would be reunited with Ashley.

But I was signed-up for intensive Italian lessons. So I had to leave the house.

My Italian classes are 4 hours at a time, 5 days a week, for 2 weeks.  Day 1 was a little overwhelming because I was the only native English speaker. Even though we were all "beginners," some of us were multi-lingual in Latin-based languages and were catching on faster than those of us who talk American.

I decided to just study really hard and overcome the my-country-is-so-awesome-I-don't-need-to-be-multi-lingual-issue. Boo-yah!

This morning,however, the instructor asked me how I was and I forgot the Italian words to reply. I also forgot how to say my name, where I was from, where I lived, and why I looked like Morticia Addams.

Yet today, an amazing addition was added to our Italian lesson: the rules of grammar.  Much like filling out forms, I LOVE grammatical rules. And so, now that I know that there are rules, many things have clicked into place. I finally could participate! I answered questions, I understood what was being written, I understood what was being said. Meanwhile, my classmates wanted to know why as far as these rules were concerned.Why this verb tense? Why third person plural? Why that article? Why is ed before a noun that starts with a vowel considered better than just e?

However, it is not for us to ask why. The why is of no importance. We need not understand, we need only to embrace the rules.

Do or do not... there is no why.




No comments:

Post a Comment