Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Truth in television


I was watching Scooby Doo (I know, I know, bear with me; I have a sick child at home) and the Scooby gang was in Pompeii. 

They tried to visit one of the sights that was never closed to tourists ( I can't fathom which site that would be because hello!? Lunchtime?!?). As they approached, a guard appeared and told them (in an Italian accent that was so bad we could barely hear the dialogue over our laughter)  that they couldn't enter. "The exhibit-ah ees-ah closed-ah."

"But the guidebook says the exhibit never closes!" protested Fred, waving said guidebook for emphasis.

"That may be true," acknowledged the guard, "but it is closed."

Fred pointed to a sign, "But that says Tours Always Available."

The guard pointed to another sign, "And that one says Tours may not be available at all times."

My son and I looked at each other and burst into fresh peals of laughter. Obviously one of the writers for the show had taken a trip to Italy.

And, as always, the episode ended with the triumph of the Scooby gang: "And I would have gotten away with it too, if it wasn't for you meddling bambinos!" said the Italian criminal.

"He didn't even say it right!" my son shook his head sorrowfully, "it should be bambini!"

Scooby Dooby Arrivederci!

No comments:

Post a Comment